Saturday, March 23, 2013

Repotting

I was beginning to worry that the celery and parsley that Chaudhry Sahab had given me desperately needed repotting. They looked so crowded--three plants each in a little five-inch pot. I was about to get Amjad to take me to the nursery for more pots, but lo and behold, I noticed a whole pile of them nestled behind a tree in the garden below! Perfect. I carried them up to the terrace and with the help of a large screwdriver (in the absence of a trowel) I repotted them all. Not sure what I'm actually going to do with all this parsley and celery but hopefully they'll grow. I've also moved to a room that looks out onto the terrace; it's nice to be able to look out at my plants anytime.

Lovely pots! They were free!
Another view of the pots, look how crowded those celery plants are.

At first I placed the celery artfully around my big pots, but have since moved them to a shadier spot because it's getting hotter every day.

All the repotted parsley lined up in a row with the flowers.

My favorite thing about these pots is that they are roughly the same sized but mismatched just a bit; because they are mostly handmade they have slightly different, interesting shape variations. Some of them are a bit more conical, some of them are a bit lopsided, but they have a nice kind of wabi-sabi  harmony.

Celery and parsley before repotting. The 8-inch pots show about the same kind of variation in shape.


I've also got more sprouts! Two more bitter melon (for a total of three) and another squash (for a total of three). Cucumber is lagging sadly behind with only one sprout. I planted four or five seeds in each pot so I'm hoping to see more plants soon. Even the okra is beginning to come up; there were four or five new little shoots this morning when I went out to water them. 

Finally, my cat visitor has been back. He loves this particular spot in the mornings. At night he prefers fighting with other cats out back.


No comments:

Post a Comment