Saturday, March 16, 2013

Jewel-like Visitor

Sitting on the balcony this morning drinking a cup of joshanda for my cold, I was surprised to look up from my book and see a blue gem darting around in the red flowering vine. It looked almost like a hummingbird, but didn't hover like one. Gorgeous deep violet plumage! I watched as it spent a little time drinking nectar from the clusters of bright red flowers and then darted away and was gone. Thanks to the internet, I've identified it as Cinnyris asiaticus, the purple sunbird. I couldn't get a picture at the time, but here's what he looks like:


I know he was a he because apparently the females are dull brown on top with a yellow chest and stomach. You can hear what they sound like here. The aural environment of the terrace is dense with birdsong, with many different species announcing their presence and calling back and forth throughout the day. I was lucky to see this one though, as I never have before. Fun facts about this bird: it uses spider webs to make its nests, and if threatened by a predator they will call each other and form a mob to gang up on the attacker (for instance an owl). They feed on nectar but also on small insects and berries.

On a side note, I believe that the red-flowered vine may be a Rangoon creeper or Quisqualis indica. But I'm still not completely sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment