Saturday, May 4, 2013

Baby cats and baby veggies

Exciting morning; my okras are abundant and I think I'm going to start harvesting them tomorrow. There will only be a handful but I'll fry them up with tomatoes and onions and masala and make sure everyone at the house tries them. Additionally, I've found my first tiny tiny karela! It's only an inch long right now but hopefully it'll grow large and delicious. I love bitter melon, it's probably my favorite vegetable of all. Yesterday I was in my friend's village and had a delicious traditional Punjabi preparation of them; they are slit down the middle and the insides scooped out, then they are stuffed with a spicy mixture of mincemeat and chana dal, then tied with a string and cooked slowly in spices, dum style. I've never had karelas that good, they were so tasty! Maybe if I get enough of my own I will try this style.

yummy okra

get in my belly

baby karela <3


Additionally, this morning as I went out to water, I heard a noise in the vine on the rooftop, a loud rustle and a squeak. I crouched down and saw movement, and then I saw Charles trotting out along the roof with a tiny white kitten in her mouth. I didn't have my camera but the kitten was adorable. I believe there may be another one as well, although it seems she's moved them. Hopefully in a few weeks they'll be big enough to play on their own and there will be further sightings.


No comments:

Post a Comment