Friday, April 26, 2013

Rainstorm

Woke up this morning to the sound of a light drizzle; everything is cool and shiny-slick. I went out to check on the plants and found a little present tucked up under the parsley: a neatly folded ten rupee note!

Sweet! It's raining money!

The herbs seem to be really coming along, and the squash and cucumber are starting to trail up the lattice.
Basil starting to look like basil


Squash blossoms

Another exciting thing I noticed today was my first okra blossom, about to pop. My only concern with the okra is that the plants are still quite short. When I've grown okra in the past the plants were at least a couple of feet tall. These are only about eight inches, and they've already got buds! Will they get taller? Is this some kind of dwarf variety? Did I screw up the planting of them? I suppose if they're producing fruit I should have nothing to complain about.

Bhindi about to blossom
Other plants are blossoming too; the Chinese honeysuckle on the tree in the front yard is dripping with sprays of pink and white flowers, and the neighbor's frangipani tree is also covered in creamy fragrant blooms. Both of these plants had been dormant (and I presumed dead), but suddenly sprang to life over the past few weeks.



There are always tons of birds hanging out in the honeysuckle, I think they must have nests there. There are mynahs, bulbuls, and common sparrows as well. No sign of the kittens yet, perhaps their mother moved them?


1 comment:

  1. Flowers' importance in nature is everywhere-they can feed insects, birds, animals and humans;Buy plants online in karachi provide natural medicines for humans and some animals; and aid in a plant's reproduction by enticing outside pollinators. Without flowers, plants would merely be green, and the world would be a duller place.

    ReplyDelete