Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Blossoms and sprouts

Is it possible to be terrible at growing flowers and decent at growing vegetables? I feel more invested in my vegetable crop than in the flowers I bought, and maybe that shows. Maybe it's because the vegetables I have nurtured from seed. Who can say? But the truth is that the flowers are as lackluster as ever, while the veggies and herbs are growing like gangbusters. I have sprouts of all my herbs, and the basil sprouts are even growing their first true leaves. Meanwhile, my big squash vine is covered in flowers and all three bitter melon vines are also blooming. The bean plants are coming up strong and the cucumbers are looking good as well.

Bitter melon flower

Bean sprout

Herbs germinating


On an unrelated note I was told by one of the staff that a cat has had kittens in the glorybower vine, so hopefully I'll get to see them soon as well! I think it's one of these two cats:

Snoozing on the neighbor's wall

This one's name is Charles (pronounced in the French way). Charles is looking a bit pregnant.

This one is Harriet. Some evenings she sleeps on a chair by my front door.

1 comment:

  1. Not only do plants and flowers help filter out carbon dioxide pollution for oxygen (which helps keep us alive),Karachi plants they also eliminate chemical toxins (benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene etc) and their effects found in our homes.

    ReplyDelete